Working On The Culverts

Tuesday, June 25, 2019


Took Elmo and Odie for a ride around Gator Creek road only to find that the powers that be were still working on the culverts.

Hopefully the area will be open by the 4th. but regardless, they needed to do some work on the road.

At the entrance to East Gator Creek, I stopped to cast a Chug Bug around the first culverts to see if anything was interested. 

Elmo stayed in the truck looking out the window helping me spot fish.


I made three casts with the Chug Bug and got a hit by a large ladyfish that blew the topwater bait out of the water. 

I made several more casts into the shallow trench but the fish never returned, so I moved up the road to continue scouting the area.

I made two more stops to toss the Chug Bug but some fish but I never got another hit.

The dogs were getting hot and the air temperature was in the low 90s.  Not a good scenario for man's best friend or for  topwater fishing.

I headed out of the wildlife refuge and planned on taking the long route around Gator Creek road but it was cabled off. 

The work crews had a load of culverts along side of the road that they were apparently going to install under the roadway.


I drove home to drop off Elmo and Odie and since it was late, I decided to make a quick run over to Shiloh Road to check out the creeks.

When I got to the first set of culverts,  the water levels in the creeks had risen considerably since last month.


I watched the water for signs of fish but nothing except some mullet were in the area. 

I pulled up the road a bit and walked across the marsh to fish an area where I caught several snook last year.


I had two rods with me. One with a small size Chug Bug and the second with a gold Johnson silver minnow.

I fished both baits until the mosquitoes and horse flies became intolerable. 

I had one nice hit on the Silver Minnow but missed a hookup.  The Chug Bug, which is my all time favorite bait never even got a follow.

I had enough for one day so I walked back to the car and headed home to get a Pizza for dinner.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: