Space X Satellite Launch

Friday, May 11, 2018

Fishing Peacocks Pocket seemed like a good idea this afternoon, especially when I heard about the Space X Satellite Launch that was supposed to lift off at 4:14 pm.

Yesterday, I spend a couple of hours shooting the bull with a couple of military vets waiting for the launch that never occurred, so his afternoon I decided to pack a couple of fishing rods in the truck and see if I could combine the launch with some topwater fishing.

I hadn't been to Peacocks Pocket road lately, and when I started walking the washed out road past the barrier, I knew why.

The road was totally trashed from the last hurricane.  The water in the Indian River was low and in the marsh, it was even lower.




I selected a spinning rod loaded with 30# Power Pro braid and a topwater Zara Spook Jr. and started negotiating the treacherous road.

At the first set of culverts where the refuge managers had piled a lot of granite rocks along the bank of the Indian River to minimize erosion, I spent a little time casting around the schools of mullet with no success.. 

I had some time to kill before the launch so I walked the road and started fishing the marsh canal, blind casting as I walked.


I had a couple of sea trout hits and finally landed a fish that was almost at the slot which I immediately released..

The water in the marsh canal was an ugly brown color from the brown algae bloom, but the water on the river side was actually pretty clear.   I walked up on several small schools of fingerling mullet that were holding tight along the bank, scattering as I walked the road.


Evidently, the fish were too spooky in the clear water.  After many casts, I never got even a followup.

The marsh canal was another story.   As I blind cast the canal to likely looking spots, I managed two fish in about an hour and missed two more on the Zara Spook, Jr.

I was getting tired from walking through the high grass and across the uneven terrain and since it was getting close to launch time, I turned around and headed back to my truck.

I spotted a couple of guys in kayaks fishing around an offshore island and as I headed back to a spot I picked to watch the launch and got out of the truck, the launch was in progress.

I quickly took this short video of the launch that was in progress.


I waited for a while to see if the boosters would return to the launch pad but from where I was parked, it was impossible to see anything.

After a short wait, I decided to hit the road and drive over to Wally's World to get something for dinner and call it a day.

The weather was hot and even though there had been a slight breeze over the water, it was not ideal conditions for topwater fishing.

Hopefully, before I head out of town again, I'll be able to get in some quality fishing.

Till then, Tight Lines and Bent Rods.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: