Spacex Atlas V Rocket Launch

Thursday, March 1, 2018

I wasn't even aware that the Spacex Atlas V Rocket Launch with the GOES-S next generation weather satellite was going today until I started to cross the A Max Brewer Bridge and saw all the people lined up.

 I didn't plan on taking Elmo and Odie with me to Haulover Canal to do some bank fishing today, but they started going crazy when they saw me opening the closet to take my fishing rods.

I loaded up the rods and as soon as I opened the door the boys were in their respective positions at the windows.

I drove down to Mims the get some blue crabs from the bait shop on US1, just around the corner from SR 46.  The guy had a ton of blue crabs for bait both dead and alive so I picked up a couple live ones and four fresh dead crabs, just in case.

We drove into town and as we hit the bridge I was surprised to see all the people lined up the the launch.   I stopped and asked a guy about it and was told it was launching at 5:02 p.m. ET, about 30 minutes to go.

I was going to pass it up but decided to put a couple of rods out in the marsh canal to see if I could lure in a redfish.

The wind was blowing steadily and I wasn't sure the launch would go but I decided to stick around anyway.

At about 5:02 pm I took this short video, then packed up the rods and headed over to Haulover Canal to fish for black drum.


Elmo wasn't feeling well so he sat in the truck, but Odie stayed with me while I was waiting for something to eat my blue crabs.  He loves to fish.


The wind wasn't bad at Haulover and it was a beautiful afternoon to fish but I only had one bite on my lightest rod and the fish dropped the bait.

I was using a surf rod with an Okuma baitrunner and 30 pound Power Pro for the live blue crab and the other two rods both had Okuma baitrunner reels spooled with 12 pound Cajun Red mono.

There was a lot of activity in the canal.  The Pelicans were diving on baitfish, some snook were busting baitfish right on the opposite bank, and there were a lot of Manatees munching on sea grasses and getting in the way of my lines.


I stayed with it until about 7:30 pm and decided to pack it in.

Several people came in late to bank fish for drum and redfish, but Elmo wasn't acting very happy and I figured that if a black drum didn't eat that beautiful, fresh, blue crab all that time we were fishing; it was time to go.

As most of my readers already know, I'm an artificial bait fisherman.  On a good day, my attention span live bait fishing is about an hour or two at the max, and today was no different.

Job would not be proud of me.

Anyway, we headed home fishless but I still enjoyed the trip.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: