East Gator Creek Redfish

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

This afternoon I finally got a chance to hit the refuge and wet a line, so I left Elmo and Odie at the house and headed for East Gator Creek to see if I could spot a sea trout or redfish.

WhenI got to the area the wind was up and after running the road towards Peacocks Pocket, I decided to park and walk the opposite side of East Gator Creek.


I brought a rod with a Chug Bug, and a second tucked into my waist with a gold Johnson Sprite spoon.  I figured if I couldn't raise a fish with either of these lures, I might as well go back home and make something for dinner.

I spotted a rattlesnake crossing the road but before I could get a pic, it disappeared into the marsh grass.

The back path meanders parallel to East Gator Creek and the water is generally deeper closer to the bank, so it's not necessary to make long casts.

I spotted a couple of fish but I couldn't tell what they were and casting the spoon didn't get a rise.

I continued walking and blind casting with the spoon and finally got a hit from a slot size redfish about a dozen feet from the bank.


The fish put up a nice fight and I didn't have much of a problem landing it.  A gator was eyeing me as I released it and I was surprised than I was the only person in the area fishing.

I did spot a couple cars on the opposite side but nobody stopped to wet a line.

I continued walking the bank blind casting the spoon and the Chug Bug, but I never saw another fish or got a follow up.

Since it was getting late, I decided to pack it in and head for the house for some dinner.

I'll be home all week and if I can get all the work done around the house that I need to, I'll probably hit the refuge again before I have to get back to work.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: