Bank Fishing Haulover Canal

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Finally got a chance to take Elmo and Odie for a scouting trip around the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge to check out the fishing.

We hit north Shiloh Road, the SWEG boat launch, Patillo Creek, and ended up checking out the bank fishing at Haulover Canal.

I tried fishing a paddletail bait and topwater Chug Bug in several areas but only got a couple of followups with no strikes.

When we hit Haulover Canal, I stopped to talk to several bank fishermen to see what they were catching and what baits of choice were being used.

Jack Sexton and his grandfather had just started fishing on the north side of the canal when I pulled up and asked how they were doing.

Jack was kind enough to text me several pictures of their recent catches this past week, some of which I am sharing with you below.





Jack told me they were fishing with shrimp and pieces of blue crab and caught all of the fish in the pics using those baits.

The huge black drum being held up by the two fishermen below was caught in Edgewater this past Sunday evening using shrimp for bait. 

 
He said his buddy sent him the pic of the big drum that weighed in at 75 pounds.

Not very good eating, but one hell of a battle.

I only received about half of the pice he texted me but it was obvious that Jack and Jack Sr. knows how to fish Haulover.

As I was leaving the canal, I stopped to talk to a couple other fishermen who had caught a drum that looked to be around 9 pounds.  Good eating size.

The fisherman said he caught the drum on a piece of shrimp but that he was also using crab for bait.

I planned on making a few more stops but decided to head for home and get some dinner instead.

I didn't come prepared to dunk baits and with Elmo and Odie along, it would have been tough fishing.

I may hit the canal tomorrow.

Till next time, Tight Lines and Bent Rods.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: