Scrubbed Launch At The Cape

Thursday, May 26, 2016

The scrubbed launch at the Cape this evening put a damper on my fishing plans but I still enjoyed the brief trip to the wildlife refuge.

On the way home from work this afternoon, I heard on the radio about the 5:40 pm launch that was planned at Cape Canaveral later on in the evening.

I immediately decided to make it coincide with a fishing outing I had planned around Peacocks Pocket road, but unfortunately the launch was scrubbed due to communication problems.

I got home with almost an hour to spare, greeted my wife and our two dogs, unloaded the truck and headed to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge to find a suitable spot to view the launch.

I pulled up to a spot adjacent to the launching pad where I could toss a lure around in hopes of scraping up a sea trout or redfish.   The rocket can be seen between the two towers to the right of the small white building on the right of the VAB in the picture below.


There was a couple parked nearby listening to the radio waiting for the lift off, and after a couple of minutes after the opening of the launch window I asked him if he knew anything about the delay.

Initially, there was no information about the delay but after we talked awhile about fishing, etc.  we learned about the communication problem.

I spent the time casting a topwater bait around the marsh canal hoping for a sea trout but I only had one half hearted hit from a small fish that was as long as the lure.

When we learned about the scrubbed launch, he took off and I was right behind him.

I didn't come prepared to seriously fish, but on the way out I made several short stops to cast at a few likely looking areas.

When I rounded a bend at a favorite fishing spot of mine, I spotted Toly taking a picture of a nice slot size black drum he had just caught.  He had his daughter pose with the fish and was taking a picture when I asked if I could also take one and put him in my blog.

He agreed, so here are the pics.


Unfortunately, I forgot to ask Toly what he was using for bait.

On the way out of  the refuge, I planted a few more casts into likely looking spots but never got a follow up or a hit.

Maybe after my doctors appointment tomorrow, I'll get a chance to do some serious fishing.

I'm due.

Till then, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: