Night Launch Over The Indian River

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Decided to try for some redfish Friday evening and stayed late to catch the late night launch over the Indian River.

The fishing earlier was sporadic. Since the roads in the refuge were closed for repairs, I decided to beat the day crowd and try some night fishing along the causeway.

I put out a couple of spinning rods with chunks of ladyfish and picked up a slot red along with a couple of hard head catfish that hit as the sun went down over the horizon.


It was windy and I missed at least two other redfish that I hit before they fully took the baits.   I'm not a live bait fishermen but with the wind, it was the only option this evening.  I seem to have a penchant for striking the fish too early. 

Anyway, since the launch wasn't due to execute until 1:21 am, I took a drive over to the fishing piers to see how the shrimpers were doing. There weren't a lot of folks shrimping and the ones I saw were not doing well. There were a few shrimp in the buckets, but nobody made a "full pull" tonight.

I tried dunking a half of a blue crab from the lower fishing pier around a piling but didn't get a bite so around 1:00 am, I got back in the truck and drove over to where I caught the slot red earlier.

A car pulled in next to me almost about the time the launch was due and asked what time it was going off. I told him now, just as I clicked on my video camera on my cell phone.


The results are not great but in a rush, you make due with what you got...

After the shot, I packed up my rods and headed for the house.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: