Playalinda Beach In December

Monday, December 28, 2015

Fishing Playalinda Beach in December can be a lonely experience, especially during the week.

Late this afternoon, I decided to head to the beach to see if anyone was catching fish.  I tool along a mid-sized "river" rod and my Okuma surf rig just in case the Pompano were hitting.

Before hitting the bridge, I stopped at Mosquito Lagoon Bait & Tackle to pick up some sand fleas and a small bag of fresh dead shrimp for bait.  They were busy so I didn't bother asking about the beach fishing but I should have.....

When I got to the guard shack at the beach, they had a sign out stating that only lots 1 through 4 were open.  The other lots were closed to clear off boats and debris that had supposedly washed up onto the beach.

I almost turned around but I decided to give it a shot anyway.   As I drove past Lot #4, I decided to hit Eddy Creek so I continued up the road and quickly found that the sign had lied.  Most of the other lots were open.

As I drove up to Lot #9, there were very only a couple of cars in the lot so I decided to give it a try.

As I trudged up the walkway and got to the steps leading to the beach, I knew it would be a bad day for fishing.  The tide had just gone out and there was very little water moving.  Not a great time to catch fish....

Since I was already there, I decided to give it a shot so I skewered a peeled shrimp along with an unpeeled version on one rod, and a couple of sand fleas on the other rig.  With no water movement, a 1oz. pyramid sinker was all that was necessary to hold bottom.

There was a wash in one area that was pulling out shells and sand, so I targeted that area hoping for a bite from a late comer.

To make a short story shorter, I spent the next hour and a half enjoying the fresh air on the beach without a bite and making friends with the seagulls.  I've been skunked before, but never this bad.


The only people on the beach were picking sea shells and sunbathing.  A couple of fishermen who walked up from Lot #10 said they missed a fish but it "wasn't anything great".  Other than that, there was almost no one on the beach for miles.






I took some pics, packed up my gear and headed back via BioLab Road to see if anyone was doing any better in the Mosquito Lagoon.

The water levels were up but it was close to 6:00 pm and no one was fishing the lagoon.  There were a lot of sightseers but no fishermen.

I headed towards the refuge to see if anybody there had caught any fish and although there were a lot of bank fishermen in the area, nobody seemed to be catching any redfish.

About this time, I didn't even bother wetting a line.  I just drove around Catfish Creek Loop and headed home.

The bite, for whatever reason wasn't happening today but at least I got some fresh air.

I've got the rest of the week off, hope I do better later in the week.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: