December Fishing Around Titusville, Fl.

Friday, December 18, 2015

December fishing around Titusville, Fl. can be rewarding when conditions are favorable but this afternoon with a cold front moving through the area, the conditions were definitely less than favorable.

I've been out of pocket for the past few weeks, so when I got home this afternoon, I decided to make a quick scouting trip around some of the areas in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

Although I packed a couple of spinning rods for the trip, I only bothered casting in one area where I spotted a redfish tailing in the shallows.

I made a few casts to the redfish with a gold Johnson Sprite spoon that didn't stir any interest, and the topwater plug I used afterward didn't fare any better.

As I headed out to Peacocks Pocket Road, I remembered that it was closed for the hunting season until February 15th.

The blocked entrance immediately reminded me!

I continued scouting the area for reds or sea trout, and as I drove around Catfish Creek Loop I expected to see the usual groups of bank fishermen however, I spotted only one hardy angler fishing for black drum.

He had several rods staked out baited with shrimp and cut baits but hadn't had a bite.

The reason could have been the weather.  A good steady breeze was blowing out of the North and the air temperature had dropped considerably since I had left the house.

The sheltered areas in the refuge harbored a lot of waterfowl, mostly common Moorhen and Coot with some ducks mixed in.  The usual compliment of wading birds were also out in force.  I grabbed a few pics with my cell phone, below.






As I drove through East Gator Creek Road on the way out of the refuge, there was no visible surface activity and I didn't spot any wakes so I decided to head for home.

When I drove onto the main road I spotted these duck hunters pulled off to the side.   I noticed a couple of hunters on the way into the refuge and assumed they were waiting for the fish and game people to check out their bag but I really have no idea what they were doing.



They did have nice rigs for fishing the shallow marsh areas though.

Hopefully, the weather will allow a couple of good days for fishing before I have to head back out of town.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: