Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River Fishing Report for 3-14-2015

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Got this Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River Fishing report from one of our avid kayak fishermen last week and just got around to posting it.

I haven't been able to get out as much as I'd like to lately for a number of reasons, but I plan on making up for lost time in a week or two.

Meanwhile, Craig Bates sent me this report along with the pic below.

Eat your heart out guys!

Hi John,
            We haven’t been out for a few weeks so we didn’t have much to report until yesterday. We went back to Ducks Roost to see if the fish were still there with the recent warming weather.
            The owner at the bait shop by the bridge said he hadn’t heard much but fish were still biting. We picked up a couple dozen shrimp to improve our karma.
            We left Orlando after 8 so we didn’t get on the water until about 10:00. Pretty late start considering the temps and the blue bird sky.
            When we got to the launch 3 yakkers were loading up to try the intercoastal as they had been out since the butt crack of dawn and struck out.
           
We launched and rowed down to Ducks Roost. 4 yakkers and a skiff were up in there. My thinking was to fish water that hadn’t been run over yet as we got a late start.
            We have a small spot that seems to always have a trout or two on it we wanted to get to.
A second skiff was coming around the corner so we hustled over to secure the spot.
           
The wind was coming in at the wrong angle so I just paddled and pointed Mary in
the right direction to make a few casts to the sweet spot.
            Sure enough on her second cast she dropped her Gander Pearl White 5” Swim Minnow on the trouts nose in about 12” of water.
            She did an excellent job of playing the fish as it tried to tangle her on everything possible. The hook was well placed and we got this monster into the net.
           
I have to say I have yet to catch a 28” gator. Mary now has 2 of them.
            She caught the one we showed you in Peackocks Pocket and now this monster.
Girl Friend has some serious skills! Yes sir, that is some trout envy on my part!
            She caught another nice slot trout on the shrimp. Me? Nothing! The temperature was becoming uncomfortable so we paddled back.
           
We didn’t get any reds this trip so we are thinking they have moved out of the basin with the warmer temperatures.
            Weather permitting we may go up to Patillo next weekend and try our luck.
            Hope you had a good weekend too.

            Keep Yer Tip Up!

Craig Bates

I was planning to take my boat out this weekend and as luck would have it my 1500 Silverado Hybrid went on the fritz.  

The computer went out on the truck on I-95 at the St. Augustine exit and I lost the brakes along with the power steering.    I managed to baby the truck back to Titusville, but that put the kebosh on my fishing for this weekend until it gets repaired.

Maybe next week I'll get a shot at one of those gator sea trout that are hitting right now on the Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.


0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: