Live Target Shrimp For Spotted Sea Trout

Friday, August 15, 2014

Lately, I just started using Live Target shrimp for spotted sea trout with some outstanding results.


The soft plastic bait perfectly resembles a live shrimp and with the culverts in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge flowing like they are, the sea trout just can't seem to resist them.

I seldom rave about artificial baits, but these work better than any I have ever used, especially when smeared up with some Pro-Cure Inshore formula.

This evening, even though I didn't get home from work until rather
late, I still managed to nail several slot size and over sea trout on these realistic looking shrimp.  I think I also missed a small redfish but I'm not sure.

Anyway, when I picked them up at Bass Pro in Savannah, I stowed them in my tackle arsenal and overlooked using them in lieu of topwater Chug Bugs and SkitterWalks.  (I'm partial to topwater baits because of the awesome strikes they provoke.)

Today I'm glad I broke with my inclination to fish topwater baits and try out these realistic looking shrimp imitations.
 
I fished an hour and a half this evening until dark with the same lure around the open culverts and dropoffs next to shallow flats and I missed more fish than I landed.

The grass in the refuge has now been  mowed which makes it easier to get closer to the water and land fish. 


I hope to get out tomorrow and try for a redfish or two.

Till next time, Tight Lines.



0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: