Labor Day Weekend Fishing In The Wildlife Refuge

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Labor Day weekend fishing is something I tend to avoid, mainly because of the crowds that ultimately mess up the fishing.

This afternoon I was pleasantly surprised to find the refuge "people free".

My wife and I planned to take Odie and Elmo for a ride around Peacocks Pocket road but decided against it at the last minute.

I packed up several rods and we headed for the same areas I fished during the thunderstorms yesterday.  I knew that I couldn't possibly duplicate the same scenario but I was hoping Karen would hook up with one of the Redfish that cruise through the area.

I baited her spinning rod up with a substantial chunk of cut ladyfish and I chose to fish with a replacement Chug Bug  I picked up at Bass Pro Shops in Savannah.

The conditions were not favorable to topwater fishing but I'm stubborn and I love the bite it produces so I started pitching the bait around some likely looking areas.

The air temperature was 92 degrees when we entered Peacocks Pocket road and when we finally got down to fishing, it had dropped to 88 degrees.

There was hardly any wind blowing at around 6:30 pm and the water was virtually flat in most areas so I didn't expect much action.

Karen tossed out another rod with a Cajun Thunder rig and a fresh dead shrimp and sat down to watch both rods while I walked the marsh canal.

It didn't take long before I hooked up with a slot size sea trout.

The fish hit the Pro-Cure smeared Chug Bug at the opposite bank of the canal and but up a brief fight before being landed.

I released the fish after Karen took a couple of pics and continued fishing the banks.

During the next hour or so I hooked three more  sea trout of about the same size and missed about the same number.

The fish were not as aggressive as they were yesterday and we never saw any Redfish during the time we were fishing.

Usually the fish cruise down the canal where you can spot them as they push water ahead of them but this evening they were absent.

Karen and I fished until the mosquitoes forced us to leave the area.

She managed to catch a nice hard head catfish on the cut ladyfish but other than that, it was a pretty uneventful trip.

At least we got a chance to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather.

 Till next time, Tight Lines.


0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: