No American Shad, Just Bass!

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Saturday afternoon I decided to wet a line but since Peacocks Pocket Road is still closed to vehicle traffic until April, I decided to do some freshwater fishing for American Shad instead.

Since most of my fishing is saltwater, I had to do some searching to find some freshwater lures that I could use for shad but I finally dug out a fly rod tied with a Lefty's Deceiver and a couple of light spinning rods tipped with a small spoon and a Mepps type spinner.

 

It was late in the afternoon so I didn't take the Ghenooe.  I opted instead to do some bank fishing at the closest freshwater location which for me is near Loghmans Lake at Hatbill Park off of SR 46.

This stretch of the St. Johns River holds American Shad this time of the year and from talking to some of my freshwater fishing buddies, I thought it to be a good place to start fishing.

After only a short drive I was at the Hatbill boat launch where there were a bunch of airboat enthusiasts enjoying the day.

 
I parked and started fan casting the Mepps spinner around the short floating dock.

It took about ten minutes before I got a hit and a miss.  Several casts later and I picked up a small bass.

I was hoping for an American Shad but I wasn't going to be picky.  A fish is a fish.

Anyway, the air boaters started racing up and down the area where I was fishing making wakes that kept the water roiled up.

I didn't particularly mind the boats running up and down the area but I did mind the noise.

In the airboat, they were using ear protection.  On the bank, I didn't have that privilege.

Finally the boats headed up Loghmans Lake and I picked up a couple more small bass on the Mepps and on a small unnamed silver spoon that I found in my tackle box.


When the airboats came back, I decided to head out and call it a day rather than tolerating the noise.

Several bank fishermen arrived while I was flipping lures and all appeared to be fishing minnows or grass shrimp.  I didn't bother asking if they had any luck, I just wanted to leave the noisy airboats.

Anyway, it was after 5:00 pm and a little too late to hit Catfish Creek loop to see if I could pick up a redfish or sea trout, so I headed for home and some pork chops instead.

Although there were no American Shad caught in the area today, I know from past experience that they do inhabit the deeper areas of this stretch of water.

A few years ago on the way home from work, I caught five shad in about 45 minutes on a small 1- 1/2" silver spoon and a light Garcia Mitchell spinning outfit.

Maybe next week I'll give it a try.  They are out there!

Till next time, Tight Lines.



0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: