Cool Day For Reds

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Saturday was a cool day for reds but I did manage to spot a few in the shallow water flats around East Gator Creek road this afternoon.

I've been busy taking care of my wife after her surgery and working around the house in general, but I decided to make a quick trip around Catfish Creek Loop road to see if anyone was catching anything.

Late Friday afternoon, I got a chance to chat with a saltwater fly fisherman who drove down from the Chicago area to sample the fishing in the Mosquito Lagoon. 

I met up with him in the parking lot of Bennet's Auto Supply as I was taking care of a radiator hose in my truck.  His flats boat was parked in the middle of the lot and as I was leaving I decided to stop and see if he had any luck.

I forgot his name (must be getting old!) but when I asked him if he caught anything, he said he saw only one redfish but had no hits.

He was fishing outside of the no motor zone in the Mosquito Lagoon in an area where he should have had better luck, but prior to the cold front; who knows.

Anyway, when I asked him if he intended to fish Saturday, he told me he was driving back to Chicago and hoped to beat the bad weather that was forecast in the area.

Sometimes I take for granted how blessed we are to live next to some of the best saltwater fishing in the United States.  It only takes me about 15 minutes to be on the water fishing.

Anyway, this afternoon I took my Nikon CoolPix and a spinning rod tipped with an "almost alive" shrimp and headed for the shallow flats around east Gator Creek.

It was cold and breezy but the sky was clear.

I expected the fish to be on the dark bottom shallow flats and true to my expectations, they were.

I spotted this red and two others tailing in the same area where almost nobody fishes.


I took the pic with my Nikon and swapped the camera for my spinning rod.

Several casts in front of the fish and one almost on top of the fish didn't produce a bite so I moved on up the road to Catfish Creek Loop.

I talked to a couple of fishermen but nobody was catching anything so I took a couple more pics of the area and headed back home to my wife.

Although I was only out for a half hour or so,  I saw three redfish but no sea trout or black drum.

Guess, it was just a cool day for reds.

Till next time, Tight Lines.



0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: