Refuge Closures

Saturday, October 5, 2013

The refuge closures due to the so called government shutdown has affected almost everyone I know who enjoys fishing Peacocks Pocket road and other areas in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

After I finished painting our spare bedroom trim this afternoon, I decided to get some air and see exactly which areas in the refuge were open to visitors.

I packed a couple of spinning rods, loaded up a small cooler with some water and headed out to see what was happening.

Here are some pics of the refuge closures I encountered this afternoon:

Catfish Creek
 Gator Creek Road
 East Gator Creek Road
 Merritt Island National Wildlife Visitors Center
 Peacocks Pocket Road
 Canaveral National Seashore
 BioLab Road
 Bairs Cove Boat Launch Road
 South Haulover Canal access road
 Haulover Canal Drawbridge
 Black Point Wildlife Drive

I didn't bother driving up US1 to verify that Shiloh Marsh Road and the other launch areas were closed but take my word for it, they are closed until further notice.

I managed to find only two areas to fish which already had a bunch of vehicles in the area so I won't mention them.  There's already too many fishermen in those areas.

It seems that the "ruling" party is creating the most pain possible for the people by unnecessarily closing recreational areas and sites like the WWII Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C.

I've fished these areas for the past 15 years or so and can count on one hand the number of times I've encountered any State or Federal government officials.

It seems to me that closing these areas to the public is more vindictive than anything else, but I could be wrong.

The refuge closures just may force me to take out my Maverick flats boat.

Till next time,

Tight Lines to all if you can find a place to fish.

'LinkConnector Validation'

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: