Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge Shutdown

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Evidently there is a Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge shutdown in effect.

When I got home last night from work, I packed a couple of rods and headed to Peacocks Pocket road to get in an hour or so of fishing. 

When I got to the first entrance, the road was blocked so I drove down to East Gator Creek road and discovered that the "powers that be" had erected a barrier there also.

It's too bad that the current administration feels the necessity to inflict the most pain possible on the people of our country to farther their agenda.

Since I moved down here almost 20 years ago, they have closed most of the roads in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge supposedly because of the lack of funding to fix the potholes. 

They apparently do not have the funds available to mow the grass around Peacocks Pocket road; yet they seem to have found enough cash available to pay people to close off the only decent areas that are still available to the public for fishing from land.

Sometimes I feel like we're all in a Kingdom, not the United States of America.

Obama Care (A.K.A. The Affordable Care Act) is hurting us sportfishermen even when we're not sick.

Feel free to click on the Post a Comment link below to voice your opinions.

Till whenever, Tight Lines.

2 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

Anonymous said...

john im a big fan of you and your blog and enjoy it very much. but to make a stupid comment like the affordable health care act has affected our fishing just to paraphrase is idiotic and distasteful. I enjoy the refuge 1-2 times a week to kayak fish and yes it pisses me off too that they closed it down, and I would tend to agree that it seems more vindictive then anything to close these spots.
But I don't want to hear your biased political thought on the matter.
Do you really blame one side for this shutdown? come on I read your blog once a week and realize you are an intelligent man but if you believe it is all on one side then you are naive or single minded. The government in its entirety has done this not Obama or the GOP but all is responsible for this bullshit. This is with all due respect.

John Neila said...

I appreciate your thoughtful comment on the closing of the refuge fishing areas.

I actually DO agree with you that both parties are responsible for the current situation we are in.

Perhaps I shouldn't have included the statement "Obama Care (A.K.A. The Affordable Care Act) is hurting us sportfishermen even when we're not sick." in my post however, I do believe that Obama is being petty and overly vindictive in this case and that he is trying to inflict the most damage possible on the people to achieve his goals.

When the government grows too big, abuses occur by both parties.

I am a conservative, NOT a Republican and I believe that our Constitution is what makes our country as great and unique as it is.

When the government can prohibit us from using and even viewing our resources (like turning back visitors from the roadside drives at Mt. Rushmore and closing down the Everglades) we need to forget the partisan bull and remember that we the people govern this country; NOT the politicians.

In many cases it has cost the government more to close down these areas than it does to just leave us be.

I don't make a habit of voicing my political beliefs when passing on information on fishing in the Refuge, but in this case, because the shutdown directly affects our fishing, I have included my "biased" opinion.

Everyone's opinion is biased or they wouldn't have one.

I appreciate your following my blog and do not intend it to be a political forum in the future.

With all due respect, we have enough talking heads to deal with .....

Tight Lines!

John