Gator Sea Trout In June

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Gator Sea Trout in June are still available but you have to work a bit harder to get them.

Late this afternoon I decided to hit Peacocks Pocket to see what if anything was biting.

The morning's trip to Playalinda Beach was less than what I had hoped for so being the die hard fisherman that I am, I decided to try one last time to hook up with a fish.

It was almost 7:30 pm when I got to Peacocks Pocket road and the wind was picking up on the Indian River since this morning.

I decided to fish a gold Johnson Sprite spoon since I didn't have much time before dusk to fish.

I fished several spots and picked up a couple of slot sea trout but I was hoping for a redfish.

At one of my favorite areas I spotted these guys in shallow water kayaks fishing the marsh pond.



I heard one of the guys yelling that he got hooked up but he lost the fish.

I moved on to an area my wife and I call Bobcat Bay.  The area is usually good for reds this time of the evening on the river side.

Today there were no reds in sight so I fished the opposite marsh canal instead.

In one area at a deep bend in the canal I hooked up with a huge gator sea trout.

I was blind casting the area when a fish nailed the gold spoon on the bottom in the deepest part of the canal.

The fish made a run like a redfish and when I finally got a look at her, she was almost three feet long .

Since I was using 30# Power Pro, I had the drag on my reel set tight and as I was leading the big trout to a brush free area of the bank where I could land it, the fish made a final lunge and got off.  The hook wore a hole in the trout's thin mouth.

I was disappointed to say the least.  I really wanted that pic to post here but today it was not to be.

I continued fishing the area but never got another bite until it was time to go.

That fish will never hit another gold spoon!

Till next time,

Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: