Fishing Peacocks Pocket In June

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Fishing Peacocks Pocket in June is an "iffy" proposition at best.

This weekend I didn't really get a chance to do much fishing but I finally made the effort this afternoon.

Saturday afternoon Karen and I took our two "wonder dogs" out for a spin around Peacocks Pocket road to see if anyone was catching and not just fishing.

Odie and Elmo were in the truck long before Karen and I got situated.

We stopped to get a couple of subs for lunch at Subway and decided to eat them somewhere around Peacocks Pocket.

Odie as usual was trying to "catch" passing cars while cruising out the window.

We drove around the area and took several pictures of the wildlife but there were very few fishermen out and about.

We saw several out of town visitors checking out the gators and taking pics of the waterfowl but the wind, high temperature and probability of thunderstorms evidently kept the fishermen indoors.

As we drove around the area I spotted a few sea trout chasing baitfish and one redfish or black drum cruising down the marsh canal.  I was glad I didn't bother bringing along my fishing rods.

 

I pulled out my camera several times and took some pics of the birds.  The spoonbills are always a favorite.

 

About midway down the road I met up with one of the regular fisherman I know who told me he had been fishing most of the morning and caught a couple of 18" sea trout on mud minnows.  He said he hadn't caught any redfish for the past couple of weeks.

We parted ways and continued down the road towards home.  There were thunderstorms in the area and we decided to finish up some work at the house and maybe go fishing Sunday.

Fishing Peacocks Pocket in June has always been hit and miss.  The weather has a lot to do with it in this area and I hate pitching lures in the wind.

Sunday afternoon Karen decided to stay home so I packed up some rods, pulled out some chunked ladyfish from the freezer and headed for Peacocks Pocket road.

This afternoon was nothing like Saturday.  The air temperature was 86 degrees when I entered Gator Creek road and it was windy enough to cause some problems casting.

I didn't get out until about 6:00 pm so I decided to stop only where I spotted active fish.

I stopped about a half a dozen times while I was in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge and fished mainly the marsh ponds and canals.

The water was up from the rain so I started with a gold Johnson Sprite and alternated with a silver and blue backed Chug Bug.

I got a couple of hits on the Chug Bug but it was too hard to work with the wind, so I switched over to the gold spoon for the rest of the time I was out.

I got one bite on the cut ladyfish but the fish dropped the bait.

I got several hits on the gold spoon and landed two sea trout both about 16 to 17 inches.  One was bleeding but when I returned it to the water it took off like a shot so it probably survived.




I stopped at several spots to cast at milling baitfish and got a hit from a redfish in an area my wife and I call "snook point".

The fish swirled on the spoon but I jerked the lure out of it's mouth like a novice.  Lesson learned!

Around 7:00 pm the wind started to die down and the air temperature was down to 81degrees according to my car sensor.

As I was driving out I spotted a fisherman I saw several times in the area.  His name was Derek and was tossing a weighted jerk bait at redfish.

As I stopped to see how he was doing, I noticed that he was on a small school of tailing redfish in an area I call Bobcat Bay.  The fish were no more than 20 feet from the bank and they had lockjaw for lures.

Derek asked me if I wanted to give it a shot with some bait, so I tossed out a chunk of ladyfish on top of one of the tailing reds just to see if it would get it's interest.

The fish stayed in the area but they weren't in the mood for ladyfish today.

Derek said he fishes the area almost daily and drives in from Orlando.  Kind of like me.

I'm out of town most of the time but I fish this area almost every weekend.

Anyway, after a few minutes I knew that catching these reds was a lost cause so I pulled in my bait, parted ways with Derek and headed for home and some much needed dinner.

Maybe next weekend?????

Till then, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: