Slow Bank Fishing For Reds

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Bank fishing for reds this weekend has been extremely slow.

Since Peacocks Pocket Road is closed until next year, fishing pressure in the areas around Catfish Creek Loop road and East Gator Creek has increased.

Even though the fish shouldn't be affected, the bite is not as good as it should be for this time of the year.

I went fishing this afternoon on the Indian River around Catfish Creek Loop with only limited success.

After cast netting some mud minnows to fish with a couple of bait casting outfits that I brought along specifically for live bait, I staked out a spot along the river and chucked out three baits.

This afternoon the weather was just perfect for laying back and waiting for something to run into my baits.

After an hour with absolutely no hits, I started casting a hammered gold spoon that was on one of my spinning outfits into the opposite marsh canal.



After several casts into different areas of the marsh I finally hooked up with a small sea trout which I promptly released.

I'd like to say I continued catching fish but I didn't get another bite for the rest of the time I was out there.

Pretty dismal fishing, but it was still a great day to be out on the river.

It was getting late and I was getting hungry so I dumped the remaining mud minnows into the marsh canal, packed up my rods and headed home.

On the way out of the refuge, I checked with several other anglers and only one other fisherman had any luck.  He picked up a 20" redfish on a cut bait after fishing three hours on the river side.

Oh well, maybe next time!

Till then, Tight Lines.

2 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

Anonymous said...

Hi John,

Read your report. Sounds pretty good.

Mary's trout looked pretty good too!

Had some blackened over the weekend. Very good!

Drove over to Peackocks Pocket Sunday afternoon to find the road
closed. That was not good.

Fished around a little with no fish landed in 3 hours.

I was throwing a weedless shrimp, Mary was throwing real Shrimp and still we got skunked.

Saw the FWC in there trying to net a Manitee to rescue it before it
gets too cold. Think they got a small one.

The big ones will be a
challenge to lift out. Can't imagine without a boom truck.

Did you really see some guys with a bucket of shrimp? That sounds like fun. Which pier is the most productive?

Hope to see you out there. Get Bit!!

Craig Bates

John Neila said...

Shrimping on the upper pier is usually more productive however, it depends on the wind direction.

There are times when the wind pushes the water in the Indian River in from the northwest and the guys on the lower pier closest to the water knock em dead.

You never know when shrimping!