Another Christmas Eve On The Water

Monday, December 24, 2012

I planned on having another Christmas Eve on the water if my wife and the weather conditions permit but, if yesterday was any example of how the fish were biting, I might just stay home and cook the turkey.

I decided to hit some areas in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge Sunday but every location I fished came up dry.

I started with Bio Lab road fishing the shallow flats in the Mosquito Lagoon but nothing of any consequence was hitting.  A few small trout followed up but not "gators".

I moved on to the boy scout camp camping area and tried a spoon there for a roving redfish but again, no takers.

Finally I moved on the Catfish Creek Loop road via East Gator Creek road and again no takers.

In the marsh areas around Catfish Creek I spotted at least six redfish cruising the shallow water but because the water was like glass, they had lockjaw.

The waters this time of year are crystal clear in most areas even though it looks "dirty" from the bank.

Ninety percent of the time, the fish will spot you before you see the fish so stealth is a factor.

I stayed out almost until sunset but only snagged some nice photos of the area and the awesome sunset.

Since I don't have any fish pics to show, I thought you might enjoy the scenery.


Although I didn't see many fishermen out, the two I did talk with who were using live and cut bait never had a hit all the time they were on the water.

Till next time,  Tight Lines and a very Merry Christmas.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: