Sea Trout On Topwater Baits

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Catching sea trout on topwater baits is one of my favorite endeavors and late October is one of the prime months for catching sea trout as well as marauding redfish in the marsh areas of the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

My wife had a bad sore throat and decided to stay in bed instead of going fishing with me this evening so I packed my usual variety of rods all tipped with different baits and headed for the "swamp" to catch some fish.

I didn't get out until after 4:30 pm, which is when I prefer to fish.

There are usually fewer people in the refuge later on in the day and today was no exception. I only saw two other vehicles in the area all the time I was fishing and they were out of town sight seers.

The air temperature was 79 degrees as I entered Gator Road and there was virtually no wind on the water.

Most areas in the marsh were like glass and on the river side, only a few ripples could be seen.



I started out using a new Tsunami bait that I picked up on special today at WallMart.

After a few casts I knew why they were so cheap.  The 5" paddle tail swim bait was designed to be used with weighted worm hooks, but I couldn't get the damn things to swim true.

The baits kept spinning on the retrieve, so I changed over to a Storm paddle tail that usually produces for me.

I smeared the bait up with some gooey scent and after several casts in a couple of areas finally hooked up with a respectable sea trout.

As I slowly drove up Peacocks Pocket road, I spotted a couple of redfish swirling on bait fish on the bank.

 I tried several casts to the reds but only managed to spook both fish.

Whatever they were feeding on, they weren't interested in my paddle tail baits. 

When I got to an open marsh pond I changed over to a Black and Silver Chug Bug. 

Several casts later produced another nice sea trout and several followups by sea trout and this large gator.

As the water in the marsh became even more calm, I moved up to where I lost a redfish last week.

The water in the area looked like a mirror and I really didn't expect to catch anything on the top water bait but I started pitching the bait anyway.

After many unfruitful casts, I finally picked up another sea trout.

The fish nailed the plug at the edge of a grassy island and put up quite a respectable fight before giving it up. 

I took it's picture and promptly released the fish. 

I managed to catch and release three more sea trout in the same general area before the gnats started getting to me. 

It was getting dark and the air temperature dropped to 73 degrees so I decided to head back to the house.










 I turned around and on a lark decided to drive through Catfish Creek Loop road to see if any redfish were cruising the area.

I stopped two more times to shoot casts at some large wakes.

This only produced one followup from a red and a large ladyfish that nailed the bait completely out of the air before hooking itself.

I released the ladyfish, got into the truck and headed for the hacienda.

The gnats and no seeums this evening were especially vicious and I had enough of a good time for one evening. I enjoy catching sea trout on topwater baits but I don't like being eaten alive by the gnats.

Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow and hook up with a red.

Till then, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: