Fishing In A Tropical Storm

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Fishing in a tropical storm isn't something I do on a regular basis, but with hurricane Sally's passing yesterday evening, my wife Karen and I decided to take a cruise around Peacocks Pocket road to see if anyone was braving the weather enough to do any fishing.

As we crossed the bridge I knew it would be a bad day fishing.

The wind surfers had been having a ball and were packing it in for the afternoon as we drove by and there were absolutely no boats on the river.   The parking lot at the boat ramps was empty.

The wind was still gusting to sub tropical storm strength and the temperature was in the mid 70s all the time we were out, which wasn't very long.

Both Karen and I expected little to no visitor traffic this afternoon but to our mutual surprise, we counted  more than half a dozen vehicles in the area.

Most of the people we saw driving Peacocks Pocket road were not fishing but just out to see the wildlife.

I brought three rods along with me today tipped with a top water Chug Bug, a baby bass pattern Storm paddle tail swim bait and a Johnson's gold spoon.

Although Karen didn't bother fishing, I just had to give it a try despite the nasty conditions.

I've learned from experience that fishing during a thunderstorm during lousy weather sometimes is the best time to fish, but today wasn't one of those days.

We stopped at several spots and on my second stop I picked up a small sea trout on a black and silver Chug Bug. 

The fish busted the plug a few feet from the bank and acted like a slot sea trout but it measured in at about twice the length of the top water plug I was using.

I forgot to take along my camera so I couldn't take pics this afternoon.

The next few spots I stopped at produced a couple of hits on the gold spoon but no reds or sea trout.

I switched to the paddle tail bait but couldn't control the bait in the wind so I continued using the spoon and the Chug Bug.

As the temperature dropped to 69 degrees, the wind made it feel much cooler and since the gusts never did let up, Karen and I decided to get a submarine for dinner at Subways and head for the house.

Fishing in a tropical storm
definitely isn't my idea of having a good time, so hopefully tomorrow the conditions will improve enough to pick up some sea trout and maybe a red.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: