Great Topwater Fishing For Sea Trout

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Topwater fishing for sea trout has always been one of my favorite activities.

You just can't beat the rush you get from a gator sea trout exploding on a topwater bait.

The temperature today was in the low 90s, so I didn't even think about going fishing until late in the afternoon when the mercury started easing up a bit.

My wife Karen didn't want to put up with the heat today so she decided to stay home and work around the house instead of going fishing.

Around 6:30 pm I finally decided to get my ass into gear, so I picked four spinning rods with different lures and loaded them into the back of the truck along with a small cooler filled with some bottled water.

Since I was bank fishing and it was late, I immediately headed for an area I call Pelican Cove where I usually pick up some sea trout and an occasional redfish.

I started fishing with a Berkley Fire Tiger paddle tail bait but quickly changed over to a STORM Rattlin' Chug Bug - 3.25" - Metalic Silver Blue - Branded Topwater bait.

The wind made it so difficult to accurately cast the paddle tail bait that I correctly decided a topwater lure would attract more interest.

I was cussing myself under my breath for not bringing along the gooey fish attractant that I was using yesterday.

As it turned out, I really didn't need any attractant.

After only a few casts with the Chug Bug, a nice slot sea trout exploded under the plug as I was retrieving it from around a grassy island.

The fish almost broke off as it got tangled in the brush at the bank, but I gave it some slack and as it swam away from the bank I managed to bring it back in and land it.

I took a couple of pics and released the trout to fight another day.

Several more cast into the same area hooked me up to another sea trout that was slightly smaller than the first fish.  Again, I took it's pic and released the fish.

I started casting farther out into the marsh pond where I noticed a big fish smacking something on the surface.  As I retrieved the Chug Bug in quick sharp jerks, I let it set for a second and the surface erupted under the lure.

A huge gator sea trout engulfed the lure and started peeling off line from my reel.  As it swam toward me, I could see that the fish was in the 10 pound category.  It was fat as hell and looked to be at least 30 inches long.

This particular rod was spooled with 8# Cajun line and a 12# fluorocarbon leader and when the fish decided it didn't want to be close to the bank, it took off for parts unknown along with my Chug Bug.

I couldn't believe the line broke but when I reeled in I saw that it let go at the leader knot.

Undaunted, I tied on a suspended MirrorLure and started casting to the same area hoping to get another shot at the big sea trout.

After several more casts I hooked up with another slot size trout which I landed and released.

The MirrorLure picked up another trout a bit smaller than the first fish that I promptly released.

I decided to tie on a Heddon Zara Spook Puppy - Bullfrog - Branded Topwater lure that I had in the truck.

The MirrorLure didn't make enough of a splash for me and I figured that a larger lure would get me a larger sea trout.  As it turned out, I was right!

After a couple of casts into the same area where I was casting the MirrorLure, I picked up an almost gator sea trout.

The fish tried to inhale the lure on a slow retrieve and put up a great "tug of war" fight before I finally managed to land the fish.

I had to get into the water to land the fish but it was worth a "wet foot".

I was taking some pics of the fish as another fisherman in an SUV was passing by.  He didn't comment about my catch but he was awfully interested in what I was fishing with.

I released the big sea trout and continued fishing.  I was still hoping to get the big gator trout that took my Chug Bug, but today it wasn't in the cards.

I caught four more sea trout around the same area on the Zara Spook before I decided to try one other spot near a culvert before the sun set.

As I drove up to the culvert, there was plenty of activity.  I flipped out the Zara Spook and missed a nice redfish that hit the bait, but it didn't hook itself.

I continued casting to the same area but only picked up a couple more small undersize sea trout before I decided to head for home.


Topwater fishing for sea trout paid off today as you can see from the short video below.





The total tally was 8 sea trout landed, two missed fish and one fish that took my favorite Chug Bug.

The topwater fishing for sea trout today was exceptional and I was sorry that my wife decided not to come along today and take part in the fun.

Maybe tomorrow!

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: