Another Hot Afternoon In The Refuge

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Today Karen and I spent another hot afternoon in the refuge fishing for reds and sea trout.

I was hoping to duplicate yesterday's good fortune with the sea trout and Karen was hell bent on getting the redfish that got away from her yesterday.

Again, we didn't bother going out until it was late in the afternoon.

The weather was a bit cooler than yesterday and there was enough of a wind blowing to keep things relatively comfortable.

As we entered the refuge, we stopped at a couple of spots to cast to fish I saw chasing bait but they weren't interested in my lures so we moved on.

Karen wanted to fish the same spot where she missed her redfish yesterday, so I parked near her spot and started casting the banks where I picked up fish yesterday.


The trout were biting but not as good as the day before.

I managed to pick up five sea trout in about an hour casting the same Fire Tiger paddletail bait.

Except for one trout, all the fish were just under the slot.

Today I couldn't buy a hit until it started getting toward dusk.

Then the fish got turned on started nailing my lures right at the bank.

The trick today was to use the same super slow retrieve as I did yesterday.

Today, the trout were picking up the baits right on the bottom and as just as I was pulling the lure out of the water.

Karen didn't do well today.

A sea manatee swam right down the middle of the marsh canal where she was fishing and screwed up the area for fishing.

How the manatee got into the marsh canal is a mystery.  I can't imagine one getting through the culverts but I guess it is possible.

Anyway, it was another hot afternoon in the refuge and even though we didn't do as well as hoped,  we love fishing the area even when we don't catch fish.

Till next time,

Tight Lines.

2 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I live in Titusville and I've noticed your posts from July this year have mentioned "The Swamp" for trout fishing. Im not exactly sure what you mean by this, is the the Gator Creek roads? Or is it around the Catfish creek loop?

Thanks

Ashford

John Neila said...

Ashford,
My wife calls the areas in and around Peacocks Pocket road, Gator Creek Road and Catfish Creek Loop "the swamp".

These areas in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge are actually salt marsh, but to Karen the whole area is a "swamp".

Tight Lines!