Another Windy Day Fishing The Marsh

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Today turned out to be just another windy day fishing the marsh areas.

Saturday afternoon's short fishing trip was more of a photographic outing than a fishing trip.

I got a late start and only had a couple of hours actual fishing time.

The weather on Saturday was in the mid 60s with mildly windy conditions. It was just windy enough to make casting with light mono a pain in the butt.

The alligators and the tourists were out in force.

I took pics of some of the 14 or so gators I spotted but didn't bother taking any pics of the tourists that turned Peacocks Pocket road into a third world country freeway.


 

 
To make a long story short, I got some nice photos and missed some nice redfish and sea trout.

There were some wade fishermen in the Indian River who were catching fish but I couldn't make out what they were catching.



I hooked two oversized redfish which both got off and missed two more hits,  all on my favorite Bagley gold spoon.

I tried catching a 33" plus redfish that was busting glass minnows about an inch long, along a stretch of marsh canal that parallels the road just past the entrance to Catfish Creek Loop.

I made at least 30 casts to that fish before it finally bumped the gold spoon and swam up the marsh canal.

Other than those fish, it was just another windy day fishing the marsh.

Today was no different. In fact the weather turned out to be a bit colder with the air temperature at 64 degrees and the wind a bit more brisk.

Today I brought my ultralight Bill Dance Quantum spinning combo loaded with 6# test Cajun Red line and a small Lazer Eye jig that I hoped would "match the hatch" to what the fish were feeding on.

As it turned out, I never spotted any fish busting small minnows along the bank   And, even if I did, I wouldn't have been able to make a decent cast because of the wind direction.

The water was much more choppy this afternoon so I fell back to using my gold Bagley spoon.

Today I didn't get out until almost 4:00pm so I hit the exact same spots where I missed fish yesterday.

My strategy worked. At the second spot I stopped at, I briefly hooked a nice oversized redfish that immediately spit the lure.

My next spot just off a grassy point next to the marsh canal yielded a "rat" redfish of about 19".



I took some pics before releasing the fish and moved on to my next spot where I missed another large fish.

I couldn't tell if it was a gator sea trout or a redfish.

It hit and made a brief run before the hook pulled out.

I continued casting the area and had two more half hearted hits before moving to my last spot.

Here is where I missed a large sea trout a couple weeks ago so I continued with my gold spoon and hooked up to a couple more "rat" redfish.



I wasn't really expecting to hook up with the same gator trout but it never hurts to try.

Anyway, the wind was making me chilly and the sun was setting so I took some more pics and headed home.

Maybe next week the wind will settle down enough to catch some decent fish.

Till then, Tight Lines.

5 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a very informative blog. Have you fished Patillo Creek recently? If so, any luck?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John Neila said...

I'm not sure where Patillo Creek is located. I fish all over the Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River but I'm not familiar with Patillo Creek.

Shoot me a Google maps or Google Earth link and I'll give it a try.

John

John Neila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It's on the south end of the Shiloh road, maybe 3-5 miles north of Haulover Canal. Thanks Again.