Mars Curiosity Atlas Launch

Saturday, November 26, 2011

This morning's Mars Curiosity Atlas launch caused NASA to temporarily close part of the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge to fishing.



I had originally planned to hit the beach at Playalinda, catch some bluefish for supper and then drive around Peacocks Pocket road to see if I could pick up a redfish.

 
The Atlas launch screwed up my plans, so I decided to run up to Bio Lab road to fish the lower flats of the Mosquito Lagoon instead.

The weather was perfect with only a light breeze pushing the water towards Bio Lab road.

I noticed that Bio Lab boat ramp is now requesting a fee for launching your boat.

Don't know how many locals will pay it but it seems like every time you turn around, some government agency is trying to pick your pocket.

Anyway, the road was crowded with  people enjoying the scenery, mostly the alligators and only a few fishermen.



Before I decided on an area to fish, I talked to three fishermen.  None of them were catching much except for catfish and a stingray.

No one was catching redfish.

I took a ton of pics and drove close to the Pelican Island flats where I saw some fish chasing bait on the surface.

 
The area is good for wading but very weedy.  Despite the weeds, I started fishing with my favorite gold Bagley spoon hoping for a cruising redfish.

Although a lot of fish were being chased, I evidently couldn't "match the hatch" because I never got a hit.









I carefully waded around the area methodically fan casting to cover as much water as possible but nothing seemed to be interested in my spoon.

Finally after an hour or so, I decided to run up to Bairs Cove boat ramp on Haulover Canal.

There were several  fishermen on both sides of the canal fishing with shrimp and live bait but again, no one seemed to be catching anything.

I took the pictures you see below but didn't even bother wetting a line.  It was getting late in the afternoon so I decided to head home and rest out for tomorrow's outing.

 
 






On the way, I passed the western entrance to Peacocks Pocket road and noticed that the NASA personnel reopened the refuge.

Perhaps tomorrow will be a better day for catching.

Till then, tight lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: