Late Afternoon Fishing On The Indian River

Friday, July 16, 2010

After driving almost 7 hours from Columbia, S.C., I decided to try my luck on the Indian River Lagoon to catch some trout for dinner.

My wife didn't want to go because of the weather, so I packed up my six trusty rods and took off to the closest location, Peacocks Pocket.

My wife and I had been having some luck there recently with drum and a few trout, so I decided to give it a try.

The water was much lower than last week and there was a slight wind which put a mild chop on the water. Just enough to make the fish less wary than usual.



Because of my bum shoulder, I decided to start out with the rod that was rigged with a Johnson's gold spoon to first locate any trout in the immediate area.

After three casts, I hooked onto an undersized trout that ate the spoon right at the shoreline.

Two casts and two misses later yielded another trout that was a twin to the first one.

From about 7:30 till 8:15 I missed five more trout and caught four more. Unfortunately, all were under the 15" minimum and had to be released.

Great fun but not good for dinner.

I decided to move on towards "bobcat bay" to see if I could spot any feeding redfish and got sidetracked by something feeding in the shallow marsh canal right on the bank.

The fish ignored my spoon, so I picked up my other light rod loaded with a Green striped Creme paddle tail soft bait.

On the second cast to where the fish was feeding, I hooked into a hefty slot sized sea trout that was destined for the dinner table.

I missed two more in that same area and since it was getting dark and my shoulder was acheing from casting, I decided to head for home with my dinner.



Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day.

Tight Lines and enjoy the pics.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: