Bleak Day On The Indian River Lagoon

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Friday evening on the Indian River Lagoon, proved to be a losing proposition for fishermen and shrimpers.

I couldn't resist taking out a rod and checking out the Indian River yesterday but when I drove down to the Lagoon, it was desolate.

The cold front was here and the fish were probably huddled in the deep troughs over dark bottom trying to survive. One thing was sure, they had a severe case of lockjaw.

As I got to the bridge, I expected to see some shrimpers doing their thing but there was only one crazy person on the causeway.

He had the whole bridge to himself. I thought about asking him how he was doing, but he looked so cold and windblown that I didn't want to bother him with dumb questions I already knew the answers to.

My wife, Elmo the wonder dog and I took a drive through the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, just to see if anyone was nuts enough to do any late evening fishing.

We saw only one Toyota pickup driving around Gator Creek, and absolutely no one else driving or fishing the river.

The only crazies out there tonight were my wife, my wonder dog Elmo, and yours truly!

The temperature was 34 degrees when we drove around Peacock Pocket, and I didn't spot one swirling redfish or trout anywhere.

With the temperature hitting the high teens tonight, I don't believe I will bother the fish until next weekend.

I should add that right now could be a Killer time to hit the Port St. John power plant discharge.

The warm water from the power plant draws game fish and manatees like a magnet.

Till next time, Tight Lines if they don't freeze first!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: