North Indian Lagoon River Fishing Report

Friday, June 26, 2009

This Friday afternoons fishing expedition proved to be pretty frustrating to say the least.
The water temperature was high and on the river side of the lagoon the water was up due to the rainfall this past week.

My wife and I fished primarily on the marsh side of Shiloh road, with little success. The water was like glass, the fish were spooky but they were feeding.

This is one trip that I tried literally every lure I had with me, with no success.

My primary target were the small tarpon and very large gator trout that I spotted in the northern part of the marsh.



There were 4 or 5 tarpon rolling, and smacking something on the surface, that I could not match with my lure selection. I tried jerk baits, top water skitter walks, jigs with gulp baits, feather jigs, creme swim baits and even my favorite D.O.A. shrimp in several colors.

All I got for my efforts was a severe case of mosquito bites and loss of blood to the little buggers.

My wife tried for several redfish that she spotted down the dirt road from where I was fishing, and had exactly the same luck that I did.

The fish were not eating what we were offering.

It looked like the tarpon were eating newly hatch fish fry of some unknown species, but even the small jigs I used to "match the hatch" didn't do any good.



With a sore arm from casting and blood loss to the mosquitoes, we left just at dusk and on the way out tried one last favorite spot.

My wife scored a trout on a dead shrimp under a popping cork and I still remained fish less.

Oh well, the scenery was great, the roseate spoonbills were in, and the sunset was awesome!






Here are some pics of the evening trip. We plan on trying again with some live bait if possible. I want one of those tarpon.


Until next time, tight lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: