Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge Closures

Sunday, June 7, 2009


Due to the space shuttle launch and high water conditions on the northern Indian River, the roads in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge have been closed. Except for Black Point Wildlife Drive and the boat ramp at Haulover Canal, most of the drives are now open. This includes Peacock Pocket road, where kayakers and Ghenoe owners are now again able to launch their craft for their shallow water sight fishing excursions.

The Black Point Wildlife Drive will be closed for several months for paving of the dirt drives. SR 406 is also closed to vehicle traffic. Birdwatchers and other tourists should be pleased with the upgrade when it is gets completed, however I do question the timing.

Right now the beautiful pink and red spoonbills, as well as other migratory waterfowl, are beginning to arrive. The alligators are also out in force, much to the benefit of tourists and photographers, should they choose to navigate the dirt roads of the Wildlife Refuge.


It seems to me that winter would have been a more appropriate time to begin the construction.
Anyway, as long as I'm on the topic; the old shrimping and fishing pier next to Max Brewer Memorial Parkway, is being dismantled as I speak.

My wife made several calls to find out what is in the planning around the causeway bridge, and how long the construction will take. The answers have been less than specific, but a new bridge is being constructed to replace the turn style bridge that is now in place.

A new shrimping and fishing pier, probably part of the old bridge, will be in place underneath the new bridge.

There have been several occasions where detours were in effect so that the swing span bridge could be repaired. This problem has also caused the ICW to be closed at times, to higher boat traffic. No new information about replacing the damaged docks at the boat launch was available, other than "they will be repaired".

In any event, progress seems to be rolling right along, weather we approve of it or not.

As of this date, there are normal spring conditions on the north Indian River. Wading, and jump fishing along the drives is great. The mullet schools are all over the river and the fish are enjoying a smorgasbord.

Saturday afternoon, I went for a brief field trip with my wife Karen and our wonder dog Elmo, to check out the newly opened drives.

The fishermen were catching trout, redfish, and the usual catfish and rays. One angler I spoke with, was closely guarding an area I call "snook point", where he just caught a 30" gator trout with a pink and green bass assassin. I was going to tell him that they move around, but I don't think he would have cared much.

I picked up about 10 trout with the same bait he was using and later switched to my favorite creme swim bait with equally good results. My wife and I spooked several over sized redfish, with no hookups, and she also landed some nice sized catfish and rays.

I plan on sneaking out tomorrow to try another area and will update this weekend report after I return.

Tight lines to all!



0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: