Mid May Fishing On The Indian River

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hot weather this weekend, and work around the hacienda, prevented me from checking out the Mosquito Lagoon fishing.

So, late Saturday afternoon, my wife and I took Elmo for a ride down to the Merrit Island National Wildlife Preserve.

There were not as many people in the area fishing as I would have thought, and those that were enjoying the weather, didn't seem to be catching much.

Undaunted, I
Undaunted, I proceeded to jump fish the areas around Catfish Creek and the area around Peacock Pocket.

I was using a D.O.A. Terror Eye with nothing to show but a trout a little bit larger than the lure.

My wife and I chased several redfish and finally scored one on a dead shrimp that she was using under a "Billy Bay" Pop N Gurgle in shallow water.

I continued with the D.O.A. and several other
lures with little to show for my efforts other than the beginnings of a sun burn.

We finally hit a stretch alongside the Indian River that we call "Snook point", and for good reason.

Opposite the point in the adjacent canal, I finally started getting some good trout hits.





Fishing in about 2 feet of water with a Creme paddle tail swim bait, I picked up about nine trout in 20 casts. The fish were scrappers, but only two over the legal limit.



I grabbed my Nikon Cool Pix, and snapped a couple pics of the fish and some early Spoonbills for posterity.

We are expecting some rain this week which hopefully will raise the water level in the river a bit.

The flats fishing is still pretty great around this area but some rain should give it a bump.

Hope you all enjoy the scenery and until next week; tight lines to all.

Posted by Picasa

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: