May High Water Trout Fishing

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Be careful what you wish for.

The rains were something I was hoping to see for the past few months, and this week my wish was granted.

Water levels in the Indian River have risen substantially, enough as a matter of fact, so as to have the Wildlife Refuge people close off Peacock Pocket road right through to the causeway road.

Friday evening my wife, and Elmo my wonder dog, went to jump fish the open culverts only to find the drives closed to vehicle traffic.

We went instead, to an area I seldom fish, around Pump House road.

We didn't expect much in the way of fishing because of the rain, so with no great expectations, we parked the truck , took a short walk and started casting lures.

It was close to dusk before we started getting some hits. My wife got a couple of hits on a green Creme paddletail swim bait she was using and I was using a 3" Heddon Swim N Image plug.

Karen kept missing the trout with her swim bait, and also missed a very large redfish pushing a good sized wake in the narrow canal near the pump house.

I finally got my retrieve right and picked up several medium sized trout on the plug.

Sorry, I didn't get any pics of the fish because of the weather, but we plan on hitting the water again tomorrow after I take care of some chores.

With any kind of luck, I'll have a better report tomorrow evening.

Tight lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: