The Vulture Heron Standoff

Saturday, November 15, 2008

As we were coming into the wildlife refuge on the Indian River, we came upon a mexican standoff between an irate vulture and a green heron.

I took a few pictures like the one to the left before breaking up the confrontation.

 I'd like to know who would have won the fight but fishing was on my mind.

It was a beautiful evening and the wind was calming down nicely.


After stopping at a couple of likely spots and not having any luck; Karen and I decided on fishing one of our special areas.

The general public always pass up this area for some reason and it usually holds fish of some sort.

Artificials didn't seem to be doing the trick today so I broke down and grabbed a bobber rig, put on a dead shrimp, and proceeded down a blocked off path along side of the river.

I finally spied a wake coming into a small cove and patiently waited to see if the fish would come close enough for me to make a cast.

I sent the shrimp out to about fifteen feet ahead of the fish, popped the bobber once and watched the fish pass it by and then turn towards the bobber.

The bobber started moving and after a few seconds I set the hook on the slot red fish below.

The fish put up a respectable fight and after a few minutes I lipped him from the water and trudged back to the truck.



Except for the mosquitoes, my wife was not getting any bites,and since it was getting dark, we decided to call it a day.


Fishing late till dusk usually produces fish this time of year and today was no exception.

Think I'll go out again tomorrow.

Till  next time, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: