Another Windy Saturday at the River

Saturday, October 11, 2008



Well, sometimes the fishing is what it is.. Fishing and not catching.

Several of my usually productive fishing spots today proved to be unsuccessful.

The southern end of the Mosquito Lagoon, west of Playalinda Beach produced only a few hits on artificials.

Today I was using Creme swim baits, DOA shrimp, DOA weedless rigged jerk baits, and finally my tried and true gold spoons.

After a few hours of wade fishing in the area casting these baits around and getting nothing more than grass for my efforts, I slogged back to my truck and decided on a fish finding tour of the area.

I spotted some gators opposite the lagoon in the swamp area and a couple of manatee grazing on sea grasses near the Haulover canal boat launch.

I talked with some bank fishermen who seemed to be having about as much luck as I was so I didn't feel so bad.

Most were using cut bait or dead shrimp on the bottom trying for the bull redfish that cruise the canal. The bite was very very slow.

Due to the poor results, I decided to try the northern Indian River for some "culvert" fishing.

Usually when the water is moving through the culverts, a well placed cast to the downward side of the water flow will yield at least a trout or two.

The change in location today again produced only a few hits on the lures that I had with me.

About the only lures I didn't try were the top water plugs I forgot to bring along this trip.

I know I could have picked up a couple of trout with fresh shrimp or a mullet but I was in a hurry to get out on the water and didn't have the foresight to bring along the cast net.

But then again, who knows?

Oh well, it was still a stellar day to get out and enjoy the fresh air and as they say;  "A bad day on the water still beats any day working".

Till then... tight lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: