Fishing The Marsh Canals Before A Cold Front

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Fishing the marsh canals before a cold front will usually provide you with some fast action if you can handle the windy conditions that normally accompany them.

When I heard weather man forecasting 37 degree temperatures or less for tomorrow morning, I decided to go fishing.

My wife doesn't like to fish in the wind, so she decided to work on her stained glass projects instead of tagging along with me.

I loaded four rods into the back of my truck and took off for Peacocks Pocket road.

Today was very windy in the northern Indian River lagoon and the wind surfers, donned with wet suits were out in force.

I don't particularly like fishing in extremely windy conditions but from past experience I've learned that fishing the marsh canals before a cold front can lead to some great catches.

The air temperature was 63 degrees at 4:30 this afternoon and the alligators were out in force on the banks sunning themselves.

 






Today was a perfect day for wildlife photography.  A few early Roseatte Spoonbills were feeding in  the marsh along with the Ibis, herons, egrets and usual array of ducks and mud hens.

















 On the way into Peacocks Pocket before Catfish Creek loop, I spotted a huge redfish blasting baitfish along the opposite bank of a shallow pond that usually provides some decent sea trout fishing.

I tried a top water "Gold Sardine" color Heddon Saltwater Super Zara Spook Jr. and a gold spoon with no results.  The fish just kept cruising the shoreline blasting baitfish when it came up on them.

I moved on to "jump fish" several other areas casting as best I could.  It was hard to detect a strike and I think I missed at least two fish before hooking up with a nice 27" redfish across from a spot my wife and I call "snook point".

The wind was pushing water around a small island into the marsh canal where the water looked like it was roiling.


It turned out to be a small school of redfish.

I pitched my favorite gold Bagley spoon to the opposite bank and slowly retrieved it just off the bottom.  It didn't go more than six feet before the redfish below nailed it.

 
The fish put up a decent battle for it's size before I landed it, took it's picture and released it to fight another day.

A couple in a pickup truck drove up just as I was unhooking the redfish.  When I asked them if they had any luck, the man said he didn't bring his rod along but that he had caught reds just up from where I bagged this fish.

I bid them good day and after several more casts briefly hooked another redfish before it shook the spoon off.

I really need to sharpen those damn hooks!

Anyway, it was getting chilly so I decided to pack it in for the day.

With any kind of luck if it's not too cold tomorrow I plan on giving it another shot.

If you've never tried fishing the marsh canals before a cold front, you could be missing out on some great fishing opportunities.

Till next time; Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: