Gator Creek Manatees

Tuesday, October 6, 2026

After enduring a couple months of radiation therapy at the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Fl. I finally got well enough to take a trip around Gator Creek in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge to check out the fishing.


The water level in the lagoon system is way up and this afternoon there was a misty rain falling as I drove into the refuge.

The weather today was perfect for sitting along the roadway and dunking a fingerling mullet or live shrimp, and there were several anglers doing just that.

As I entered the refuge, the first culvert was open into the Indian River.  I immediately noticed several fish around the rushing water flow busting on the crabs and baitfish that were being flused into the system.  They looked like sea trout but I couldn't be sure.

I also noticed a large group of Manatees farther out in the river feeding on the sea grasses that have been improving the water quality in the lagoon.  At first, I thought they were a large school of black drum or redfish tailing but the longer I looked, the more I realized they were Indian River Manatees. 

I took the video below and did notice that several large black drum or redfish were mixed in among the feeding manatees, which is pretty common around here.


I moved up Gator Creek road and spoke with a couple of guys that were fishing with live shrimp along the bank.  

Both anglers said they were catching redfish that they said they were releasing back into the river but as I drove on past the second guy, I noted that he had an illegal red flopping in the grass next to his sedan.

I wasn't in the mood for any altercations, so I didn't say anything but thinking about it now, I should have.

I continued around the muddy road and spotted two more guys fishing with finger mullet close to the culverts.  Both said they had just started fishing and hadn't had any luck.

The water was relatively calm today and there were definitely fish moving around making me wish that I should have brought along at least one rod to fish with.

Anyway, I was enjoying the fresh air and just getting out for a change on the water.

Hope to start posting more as I regain my weight and strength.  It's tough eating when you have a hard time swallowing and can't taste anything.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: