Dink Trout In The Ditches

Thursday, May 4, 2023

Fishing Peacocks Pocket road this afternoon seemed like a good idea, so after a brief scouting trip at Playalinda Beach, I headed to the southern entrance of Pocket Road to try my luck along the road.



I parked off the wire rope barrier at the road and took a light rod spooled with 6 pound line and a small size Creme paddletail bait from my truck to fish with.

They have been working on Peacocks Pocket road for a couple of years and were expected to have it finished up by March of this year, but even though the road has had some massive improvements, it is still not open to vehicle traffic.

However, if you don't mind a tangle in the brush once in a while, you can usually pick up some sea trout, black drum, and redfish along the ditches; especially around the shallow ponds.


As I walked along the road this afternoon, the water in the ditches was like glass in most areas which made delicate casts a necessity.  

I walked a few yards up the road casting into the deeper pools and started catching sea trout on my white Creme bait.   The problem was that except for one fish, all the fish caught were dink trout like the one below.


During the time I was fishing the ditches, I landed and released at least a dozen sea trout in the 10 to 13 inch category and lost my one and only bait on a good size fish that broke off in the vegetation that is still left in the water along the bank by the work crews.   


As they worked on the road, they cut down most of the bushes that were growing along the bank.  Although this makes casting much easer, landing a good fish is damn tough; and there are some big fish in the ditches.


The above pic shows what I'm talking about.

As the insects started to eat me alive, I decided to give up on the fishing and head home for some grub.

Till next time,
Tight Lines

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: