Gator Creek Tarpon

Friday, July 3, 2020

Went out to give Elmo and Odie some windshield time with Karen and decided to try for some Gator Creek tarpon on the shallow grass flats.

We passed the causeway which was beginning to load up with early July 4th celebrants and headed towards the East Gator Creek entrance.


The water was almost a dead calm and it was beginning to rain, so I left the dogs in the truck along with Karen and decided to make a few casts across the flats to see if anything was in the area.

I started out with a bone and red colored XPS Slim Dog that was smeared up with some Pro-Cure Super Gel inshore formula.

After the 3rd or 4th cast, I hooked a small ladyfish that tossed the bait after the second jump.
I made several more fruitless casts before giving up on the bait.

I don't know who said fish were stupid, but they definitely know how to avoid a lure when it stings one of their kind, anyway, I switched to a Chug Bug and missed two more ladyfish that tossed the lure before finally landing the small one below.

 

It was all bloodied up so I kept it to chunk up for reds.

I finally switched over to a silver/black back Badonk-A-Donk topwater bait that I was meaning to try out.


I smeared up the lure with some Pro-Cure on the sides and on the first cast hooked a legitimate size sea trout that I immediately released.

A couple of casts in the same area produced another boil from a much larger fish.  I'm not sure if it was a red or a large sea trout, but it smashed the bait completely out of the water and then left it.

I kept trying for the fish but after a dozen or so casts I gave up and moved on up the road.

I never spotted a tarpon but I kept getting follow ups and hits on the lure until Karen decided we needed to head to the house.

Before I get back to work next week, I plan on trying the areas again closer to dusk to see if the fish will be more receptive.

The topwater bite pattern right now seems to be just after a thunderstorm when things clam down.   The fish become active during and right after the storms roll by.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: