Indian River Flats

Monday, May 11, 2020

The Indian River flats are good during April, May, and June for some excellent sea trout fishing.


This past week, I had several chances to scout for a fishing spot that wasn't already occupied with anglers dunking shrimp or mullet for reds and black drum.

The guys on the fishing pier seemed to be practicing social distancing as I passed them going over the bridge.


I found a spot on the north Indian River that I usually bypass and was surprised to find some great, clear shallow water flats to fish off of a previously closed dyke road.

My original trip was during the afternoon, so I didn't bother wearing out my casting arm trying to catch any fish.  I took a bunch of pics of likely looking spots and came back later on in the evening to toss some lures.

When I waded the flats below, I started tossing a gold, weedless, Johnson's Silver Minnow to cover some ground and see if I could find some fish.



I walked the shallow flats looking for fish and spooked a couple of single redfish before hooking up and releasing a rat red.

After a ton of casting, I finally hooked into a nice sea trout that I also released.

I didn't take my cell phone along to get any pics, but I did pull it out of my truck when I caught the sea trout below at a pond that ran along the other side of the path.



I plan on getting out earlier in the morning to toss a topwater Chug Bug around and see if I can pick up one of those big gator trout that some of the guides have been getting.

I didn't have to worry about social distancing for a change.  Feels great.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: