Bayou Redfish

Sunday, September 22, 2019

I decided to take it easy Saturday and lay around the apartment but I just can't seem to stay put for long without doing something, so I packed up a couple of spinning rods, picked up a cooler and headed for some salt water to wet a line.

I thought about going down to the causeway off of I-10 but decided to head down to Dauphin Island instead.

I brought along some frozen shrimp that were left over from my last jaunt and as I was driving down the causeway to the Island, I decided to drive over to Bayou La Batre instead.

I hadn't been there in a while so I didn't know what to expect.

I pulled into the road before the first bridge where the ships were being built and pulled off at a couple of spots to see if I could snag a Bayou Redfish, or anything for that matter.

The water was like glass and although some fish were occasionally dimpling the surface, the area did not look really "fishy".

I tossed in a shrimp with one rod and started casting a white Creme swimbait with the other rig.

I hooked and released a small catfish and continued tossing the creme swimbait around the sea walls where the boats were anchored.

I thought the bait had snagged on the bottom and gave it a jerk when to my surprise, I was hooked up to a slot red.

The fish made a couple of nice runs and after a short time I managed to "lip" it out of the water.

The leader was frayed from the oyster shells on the bottom where I was fishing and I could have very easily lost the fish if I hadn't horsed it in like I did.

Anyway, I took a couple of selfies with the fish before releasing it.

I continued fishing both rods for another half hour or so and only caught some small catfish before heading back to the apartment.

In 90 degree weather with a slack tide, I think the red was probably the only one left in the area.

Till next time,
Tight Lines

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: