Bio Lab Scouting Trip

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Went on a "scouting trip" with Karen, Elmo, and Odie to check out the Mosquito Lagoon fishing.

Odie assumed his position on the center console as I loaded up the truck with four spinning rods, just in case.

We took off rather late in the afternoon and headed past Gator Creek and the Black Point wildlife drive towards Bio Lab road.

The game plan was to make a quick run around Bio Lab to see if juvenile tarpon were still around the area.

We drove around the Bio Lab boat launch parking area and headed to the first set of culverts at the entrance to Bio Lab road that usually hold small tarpon during the hot months.

Today, after checking out the area, it was obvious that no juvenile tarpon were in the area.


As we headed down Bio Lab road, we saw only one other person who was fishing in the Mosquito Lagoon on a kayak with a full sized cooler.

I wanted to ask him if he had any fish or adult beverages in the cooler but my wife was too embarrassed and made me move on down the road.

It was a hot day with little to no wind on the water and most of the areas in the lagoon that we drove by had some serious brown algae which made sight fishing pretty much impossible.

When we got to Playalinda Beach road, I decided to drive toward the beach and check out some of the Vistas to see if any tarpon were in the vicinity.


We stopped briefly at two Vistas that were stained with brown algae and saw no tarpon. 

I was going to head to the beach but Karen wanted to head back, so I decided to stop at the last Vista on the way out and toss a Chug Bug around just for the hell of it.

After several casts I was ready to pack it in but a nice ladyfish nailed the Chug Bug and started dancing all over the place.



I landed the fish, took a quick pic and added some Pro-Cure to "flavor" up the bait.

A couple of casts later I hit another ladyfish that quickly shook off the lure.

I caught two more ladyfish in the same area before I decided to leave the area.

Although Karen was in the truck with the "boys" with the A/C going watching me catch fish, she couldn't leave the dogs out of the car in this area to fish herself.

It was getting late so we decided to head home and pick up a Pizza for dinner.

We left the area, headed over to Lil Ceasers and home for din din.

Elmo and Odie were happy to get out for a "ride" and I was ready to calm my growling stomach.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: