Bio Lab Road Fishing

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Spent a few hours with Odie this afternoon fishing Bio Lab Road with topwater baits with little success..

Despite the cold weather that rolled into our area late yesterday afternoon, I decided to hit the flats again along Bio Lab road to see if anything was interested in getting caught.

We entered via the boat launch and stopped along the road in several areas to fish a Chug Bug and XPS Slim Dog hard bait.

The wind was not as strong as it was on Monday, but the air temperature was only in the high 50s.  

I stopped to talk to the only other fisherman I saw on the road who had caught an oversize sea trout and two oversize redfish on fresh dead shrimp.  He was using sliding sinker rigs on both of the rods he had out and said the bite had slumped off just before I drove up to talk with him.

I wished him luck and started blind casting the Slim Dog bait a few yards up the road from him on the other side of the road.

After what seemed like several hundred casts, I had only one hit so I got Odie and moved to another spot up the road close to the Whale Tail flats.


Along the lower flats I finally hooked up with a small sea trout that I released before moving down to where Karen and I spotted a bunch of sea Manatees yesterday.

When I pulled into the area, the first thing I noticed was that the sea Manatees were still in the area.

Evidently they staged in this area during colder weather.  

I started fishing the Chug Bug smeared up with some Pro-Cure on both sides of the culvert.  I tried fishing a normal retrieve, a very slow retrieve, a fast retrieve, and a stop and go retrieve with absolutely no hits.

It was around 5:35 pm when I called Odie to hit the truck and head out of the area before the 6:00 pm closing time.

The cold weather was obviously not helping any with my topwater fishing.  

As Odie and I left the area, I made a mental note to bring along some live or fresh dead shrimp the next time I planned to fish the area.

There were plenty of fish there, but they just weren't interested in topwater baits.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.


0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: