Topwater Snook

Sunday, July 1, 2018

After changing the water in our aquariums,mowing part of the front lawn, and fixing Karen's bumper on her truck, I decided that I needed to hit one of my favorite areas to try and catch a few topwater snook.

I left the house at 7:10 pm and got to the spot in about 15 minutes via I-95.

I planned to fish using my new 8wt fly rod I picked up last week at Bass Pro in Mobile, Al. but there wasn't much time to fish and since I already had my topwater spinning rods loaded and ready for bear; I used those instead.

The water in the area was dead calm, the air temperature was in the mid 80s and it was beginning to get dark with the afternoon thunderheads rolling in.

"Snook Creek"
I started out fishing a flowing culvert with my baby bass Chug Bug that I had smeared up with some Pro-Cure Inshore Formula and after the third cast lost my favorite bait ever on a large snook that blasted the bait and headed for parts unknown.

The big fish hit the Chug Bug as soon as it hit the water and as it headed toward the first bend in the creek, the fluorocarbon leader parted at the barrel knot to the 10 pound Cajun Red line I had spooled on the reel.

I was not a happy camper after losing the fish and my favorite bait, but I marshaled on and picked up my other spinning rod to continue fishing.

This outfit had a Saltwater Super Spook Jr. tied on so I smeared it up with some more Pro-Cure and started walking the dog around the spot.

After several casts with no hits, I decided to move down the road and walk out to the bend in the creek to try my luck there.

The water was still dead calm and I wasn't sure a walk the dog retrieve would match my Chug Bug action but I gave it a shot anyway.


Much to my surprise, on the second cast along the bank, I hooked up with a small snook that seemed to really like my bait.

The fish made a couple of short jumps and a nice run before I landed it.  I thought it was a sea trout until I got it close to the bank.

After taking a pic I released the fish and continued casting the Super Spook Jr. in another area of the creek.

I spooked two fish before hooking up with another snook that was a bit larger than the first one.


Again I released the fish and continued fishing.

I caught one more Snook in the same general area and spooked two more before the gnats and mosquitoes started munching on my body.


Almost like clockwork, when it gets dark in the marsh, the bugs come out.  That's when I leave.

I plan on coming back to the area this week with my fly rod to pick up a few more fish.  That should really be a blast.

Till next time,
Tight Lines 

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: