Another Memorable Fishing Adventure

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Karen and I had another memorable fishing adventure this afternoon when I had to have the truck towed to the shop.

We decided to leave Elmo and Odie at the house this afternoon to concentrate on the fishing.

We picked up some mud minnows at the local bait store and headed towards Peacocks Pocket road to fish the marsh canal.

Along the way we spotted a few gators and several sea trout busting baitfish along the canal and at the mouth of the ponds.


I tossed a Chug Bug to a couple and had several follow ups from small trout before finally landing a slot size fish which I returned to the water.


When we got to where Karen wanted to fish, I broke out the rods and set some baits out along the Indian River side of the road, as well as along the marsh canal.

The weather was hot and there was a good breeze blowing over the water until just before we had to leave the refuge.  The spot we fished had tons of activity (as you can see below) and we should have caught a redfish or two, but Karen and I both kept missing fish.


She had a redfish on briefly before it dumped the mud minnow and missed four other bites while we were fishing the area.

I never got a bite on the Indian River side of the road, but I missed three good bites in the marsh canal.  One was no doubt a redfish, but the other two were probably sea trout.

When I finally did manage to catch a fish, it was a two foot long garfish that I hooked by dumb luck on a Bass Pro XPS Series topwater bait.


I got a second gar about the same size on a large mud minnow in another area of the marsh canal.


As it got close to dusk, the usual afternoon "flyover" of Ibis made their presence along with the skeeters that started sucking my blood.


It was then that we decided to head for the house and call it a day. 


As we left the refuge the sunset without incident the sunset was awesome as usual, but when we got to the Winn Dixie on Dairy Road, the dreaded "low oil pressure" light came on and the truck started sputtering to a stop. 

I checked the oil level and it was normal, but after trying several times to get the truck started, I finally pulled onto the sidewalk and called the wrecker.

Karen decided to walk to the house and get the other truck to pick me up while I waited for the wrecker, so I gave her a good flashlight and let her do her thing.

The wrecker came withing 20 minutes, loaded the truck onto the flat bed and toted it off to the Exxon station where I usually get my work done.

I thought it was a computer problem, and after a week, it turned out to be a couple of sensors and the oil pump.

Anyway, Karen picked me up just as the wrecker was leaving me at the station.

The last time we had truck problems on a fishing trip, I had to get towed out of the wildlife refuge and the engine had to be replaced.

I guess, this time we were lucky.  Anyway, it was another memorable fishing adventure I can write about here.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: