Another 33 Inch Redfish

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Well, Karen did it again with another 33 inch redfish.

If I didn't know better, I'd say she caught the same fish as the last time we were in this area, but I know better.

The air temperature in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge this afternoon was 93 degrees when we entered Peacocks Pocket Road and the slight breeze that was blowing across the water was just enough to make fishing pleasant.

After doing some clean up work in a closet packed with fishing tackle I didn't even know I had, we decided to go fishing late this afternoon to see if we could get a sea trout or two and possibly a redfish.

We stopped at Mosquito Lagoon Bait and Tackle to pick some live mullet for bait and I got a dozen mixed size mullet with a couple of pinfish thrown in for good luck.

Karen wanted to fish an area we call "Bobcat Bay" so I didn't wast time trying to catch some of the sea trout that were busting baitfish along the marsh canal.

Because of my neck problem, I decided to bank fish with live bait along with Karen, so I baited up with a pinfish and loaded Karen's rod up with a 5" mullet.

The phone kept ringing while I was waiting for a bite and I managed to get in some work associated business before Karen called out to me that she had a big fish on.

I walked over to where she was fishing and took this video of her landing the fish.


My wife lost several nice redfish and sea trout on the brush pile at her feet that she for some reason insists on leading the fish into.   I was "directing" her to lead the fish away from it so I could grip it out of the water.

This time she won the fight and landed a nice 33 inch redfish below.




The circle hook got the red in the corner of it's mouth as it is intended to and the fish was released none the worse for wear.

Since it was getting late and my neck was hurting, we decided to call it a day and head for the house.

On the way out of the refuge, we spotted several areas where the waterfowl were congregating, but all the time we were in the refuge, we only saw one other vehicle and nobody fishing.


I'm hoping to get out on the water again during the week to catch some sea trout for my buddy Lou in Highlands, N.C.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: