Presidents Day Topwater Sea Trout Fishing

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Topwater sea trout fishing in February can produce some huge fish when the conditions are right and President's Day was one such day.

Although I didn't expect to do any serious fishing today, I decided to to some "gun and run" fishing along Peacocks Pocket and upper Shiloh Road for sea trout and possibly a red or two.

I took along some mud minnows in case the fish weren't cooperating, and a couple of spinning rods tipped with a gold spoon and an XPS Slim Dog topwater "walk the dog" type bait.

I originally planned to run Peacocks Pocket Road and move on to Shiloh Road but because it was late in the afternoon, I never made it to Shiloh.

The air temperature was 65 degrees and there was a slight breeze blowing across the Indian River.  It was overcast and it felt like rain but the drops never materialized.

Pocket Road had been mowed and was filled with fishermen and photographers taking pictures of the spoonbills and other water birds.



Most of the fishermen I encountered were dunking cut baits and shrimp.   Several were catching catfish, rays, trout and a few reds.

I decided to fish the "ditches" on the marsh side of the road at the entrances to the ponds but because the water levels were so high, I quickly found that the fish were scattered all over the place.

I started tossing a Johnson Sprite gold spoon smeared with  Pro-Cure Super Gel inshore formula.  After missing a couple of slot sea trout, I finally got in the groove and started picking up some small sea trout, including this little runt who apparently had high aspirations.


The spoon was getting hits but I noticed some topwater activity in a couple of spots so I changed to an XPS topwater bait that I picked up at Bass Pro Shops some time ago in Savannah, Ga.

I quickly discovered that the topwater action was the way to go.  You don't get as many hits, but the fish you do land are usually quality fish.

As I ran the road casting to likely looking areas, I picked up five sea trout in and over the slot, and missed three more before deciding to head for the house.



All the fish were in the 17" to 23" range and all had the beautiful colors associated with the tanin stained waters of the marsh.

On the way out of Pocket Road, I spotted a couple of tailing redfish in the flooded marsh rooting around for crab, shrimp, etc. but I didn't bother going after them.  I had enough fun with the sea trout for one day.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: