Space Coast Birding

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Space Coast birding is apparently why Peacocks Pocket Road was open this Saturday.

My wife and I decided to take Elmo and Odie out for a ride Saturday afternoon and because of the heavy winds and the cold front that was coming into the area, I didn't take along any fishing gear.

We left the house at around 5:00 pm and headed for East Gator Creek Road to see if the birdwatchers were out.

As we entered the area, we weren't disappointed, there were plenty of local and out of state birders in the area.

The amount of Coots we saw was unbelievable.  They were thousands of them huddled together in several groups mostly on the leeward side of the road.


I took a few pics and moved to Catfish Creek Loop road to see if anybody was fishing.

As we neared the entrance, Karen was the first to see that the barrier to Peacocks Pocket Road was down and the sign was covered up with a black plastic bag.

I immediately took the turn and we slowly drove along the road looking for sign of fish or fishermen.

We saw a lot of different types of birds, a few sea trout and a school of either black drum or redfish moving up the marsh canal against the wind.

There were some vehicles parked along the narrow road in several areas watching the waterfowl but only one group of folks fishing, and they were at the culverts near the kayak launch.

I was disappointed that I didn't bring my rods along but it didn't appear that anyone was catching any fish.  With a full moon, dropping temperatures, and a heavy northeast wind blowing, I didn't feel too bad.

We did spot a lot of waterfowl which is probably why the road was open in the first place, anyway, here are some of the pics I took during our outing.











Not quite sure what kind of hawk it is but it acted like it was tame.

Hope to get out and wet a line this week, especially if the road remains open.

Till next time,  Tight Lines.


0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: