Traveling Fisherman

Friday, August 7, 2015

It's nice to know that I'm not the only traveling fisherman in our area.

I recently got these pics from a subscriber friend of mine who happened to be fishing "down the road" from me in Ft. Pickens in Pensacola, Fl.


I decided to make this post using his words:

"I checked into my hotel in Penscola Beach and then headed west towards the park.
    
My weapon of choice is my 7’9” Blair Wiggins rod with a Cabo 40 spooled with 20# PowerPro.
            
When I arrived at the fort lots of folks were fishing the jetty area so I walked on up the beach towards the point.

 
I had checked the tides and needed to be in position to fish the change out towards the point by 17:30.
            
For bait I tied on a Live Target shrimp on 20# fluorocarbon.

Walking along the beach I could see the rip line forming as the outgoing was slowing.  Some bait fish scattered along the edge so I held up and started casting the shrimp in the area.  I cast up current and let the shrimp drift down and back towards me with a lift  fall retrieve.
            
Good thing I brought the Wiggins with me. The 7’9” casts a long way and the rod has lots of power.
            
I landed 2 really nice Reds and had a 3rd pull off. These Reds made the best of their size and power to use the current to their advantage.
          
Some vacationers were walking by when I hooked the 1st fish and were nice enough to snap a quick picture before I released the fish.
 
The next fish was a copy of the 1st. Great pulling power.   After a couple long runs, the fish tired and posed for a couple pictures before release.
            
A 3rd fish grabbed my Live Target and made a good run out into deeper water. The hook popped out and the ride was over.
            
The tide change was the key. Once the tide started to rip back into Pensacola Bay the action was over.
           
            
I had a little cushion in my travel plans so I went out the following morning as the sun was rising.
           
 I walked out all the way to the end and around the corner.   I found a short section of beach that cuts back in out of the current.
           
The water was crystal clear and I located a large school of big Reds.   The fish were just cruising around.  

I spent about an hour casting to them with no luck.   I tried a variety of retrieves from dragging the shrimp to ripping it to trigger a response.   The school would part and move away from the lure.   They gave my Live Target Shrimp a couple looks but always peeled off.


I lengthened my leader to 6’ but still nothing.  Guessing these big old Reds have seen it all before.
           
With no live shrimp or crabs to toss out there and running out of time, I had to be on my way.
           
When your driving by and have a little extra time, give it a try.   It’s another beautiful area of the state to explore.
            
Tight lines!"

Although I've been working in Mobile, Al in the Dauphin Island area, I haven't had time to wet a line in the area yet.    Craig, on the other hand managed to pick up some nice fish in his area which is known for nice size redfish.

Can't wait to hit the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge when I get home.

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: