Sea Trout and Red Snapper

Monday, July 6, 2015

 Got this email from one of my readers who likes to go catching; not fishing!

"John,

I fished PP last Saturday too.   I only fished from 18:00 to 20:00.

I did very well on a KEITECH “Easy Shiner” in Silver Flash Minnow color.

These are infused with squid. The fish were trying to swallow them. I think that flavor is a winner.

The trout were all real nice upper slot fish with one up to 24”.


I even caught one on a rubber bass frog buzzing it across a flat I saw some feeding action in. Sweet!

In addition to the trout I landed and released a nice 30” Red on the same swim bait.

I rigged them on 3/0 weighted swim bait hooks with the screw locks to keep them weedless.

The Red really smoked the bait. I saw it’s dorsal pop up under a mangrove bush.

I tossed the bait about a foot in front of it’s nose and let it hit the bottom.

A short pause, one shake and PAPPOW!

When we went up to Port St. Joe, we fished the “Fishing Express” party boat.

Last year we were allowed 2 per day over 16”. Of course were looking for fish over 10#.

We fished him 2 days together during the open season in federal waters and boxed some very nice snapper.


This year the FWC changed the program and limited the number of permits to the captain for Federal Waters.  As result to extend his trips, the captain limited the daily bag to one fish per angler.

With a one fish retention, we released some pretty nice snappers in order to retain fish in the 12 to 14 pound class.

On our first day we used hole squid. Brought our own 5 pound box. We did pretty good.

On our second day we caught some pinfish at the dock and split them up between a couple buckets with bubblers.

I changed the water frequently and they stayed lively until they were gone.

With live pins, I set them up on 3 ounces with a 7/0 Gamakatzu circle hook snelled on 50# fluorocarbon.


The bites were fast on live bait. Mary and I both got spanked by grouper on 50# with our drags cranked down. Just couldn’t stop them before they rocked us up.

What a fun trip. Were considering trying the long range overnight boats out of Johns Pass.

I did that trip about 5 years ago. What a blast!

Hope to see you on the water. Keep your tip up!"

I just love fishing................

Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: