Friday Evening Topwater Fishing

Friday, April 10, 2015

Friday evening topwater fishing in the wildlife refuge was the game plan, but the windy conditions made decent presentations almost impossible.

I didn't get into the refuge this evening until about 7:00 pm and the conditions were less than perfect.

The wind was blowing in from the SW and the temperatures were in the low 80s.  This made most of the areas along Peacocks Pocket Road really tough to fish a top water bait.

Despite the wind, I managed to stir up three sea trout in the 18" to 20" category, all of which were released.


The one in the short video clip above and one other sea trout about the same size was caught on a Baby Bass colored Chug Bug.

The other fish was caught on a Silver and Black Chug Bug.

Towards dusk I stopped to fish a small pond where several huge redfish were busting baitfish,  but a gator of about 9 feet kept following the plug every time I made a cast.

After four or five casts, I finally decided to call it a night and let the danm gator have his spot.

I'm sure I could have caught a redfish if I continued casting into the area, but I wouldn't bet on being able to land a large fish in the dark with an aggressive gator in the area.

After taking a couple of pics of the sunset, I decided to head home and eat dinner.


Peacocks Pocket Road was not overly crowded this evening although most of the spots on the Indian River side were taken by live bait fishermen dunking finger mullet and crab.

Hopefully, the fishing this weekend will be better than our last couple of outings.

I guess that's why they don't call it catching.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: